Monday, September 17, 2007

Been Reading...

Just finished reading two good books recently -- Offspring by Jack Ketchum, and Mr. Hands by Gary A. Braunbeck. Both are great books and I would highly recommend them.

Offspring is the sequel to Ketchum's gory and thrilling Off Season, and doesn't hold anything back. Ketchum has that peculiar Stephen King-like ability to flesh out a character so well you can actually see him standing in front of you. In this story, it's pretty scary.

Mr. Hands is a complex tale about the horrors of this world, both good and bad. Braunbeck, in spite of his awards and best-sellers, is one of the most under-rated authors out there. I'm reading In Silent Graves now -- I'm only 50 pages in and already the book has gripped me. If you buy a copy of Mr. Hands, I believe 10% of the author's royalties go towards a children's charity.

Things are getting interesting on the haiku front. Somehow, I got acceptances from Frogpond and bottle rockets, and I still find myself unable to stop writing haiku. It's addictive.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I definetely want to read the Ketchum book. Off Season was a great work, I thought. True horror with some thriller elements. That's a pretty long time between sequels. Off season is a pretty old book.

Greg Schwartz said...

yeah, it was a long time in between. lucky for me, I read Off Season last year, so just as I was finishing it, Offspring was being marketed. Good timing, I guess.

Dwarf Stars Award 2015

Dwarf Stars Award 2015