Saturday, June 21, 2008

Websites for Writers

Here are a couple of helpful websites for all of us writers:

WritersWeekly.com - run by Angela Hoy, WritersWeekly provides up-to-date market listings, writing jobs, and informative articles about the writing business, as well as a section titled "Whispers and Warnings," which highlights bad experiences writers have had (and with which editors or publishers they've had them).

Ralan.com - a regularly-updated repository of market listings (most notably, speculative markets). The website also lists guidelines for contests, anthologies, and book publishers, and has a separate section for "Humor" markets. Also a great place to find out which markets are "dead."

Duotrope's Digest - like Ralan, Duotrope contains a large database of market listings, but more importantly, it lets you (the writer) track your submissions to various magazines, and it combines the information you report with that reported by other writers to give a statistical breakdown of response times, personal vs. form letter rejections, and percent of submissions accepted.


Also, don't forget to vote for your favorite story and poem in the Niteblade readers' poll. The poll closes July 1st. And speaking of deadlines, the Penumbra Haiku Contest's deadline is fast approaching. I mailed my entries in today, so just remember: the less people that enter, the better chance I stand.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Thanks for the links. I'm going to go check out the penumbra contest. I was working on some poetry subs and then a writing deadline smacked me in the face and I let it all slide.

Greg Schwartz said...

Yeah, it definitely looks like a good contest. Good luck!

Rhonda Parrish said...

While reading my copy of the Rhysling Anthology today I discovered a little gem entitled "Night Falls" :) It's a wonderful poem and I just wanted to congratulate you on the nomination :) Good luck!

Greg Schwartz said...

Thanks Rhonda! Glad you enjoyed it. I haven't gotten my copy yet but I'm sure there are a lot of great poems in there.

Dwarf Stars Award 2015

Dwarf Stars Award 2015