Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Black Petals #44, Rhysling Winners Announced, Contests

The new issue (#44) of Black Petals is now online. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but from the lineup it looks like a good one.

The results of the 2008 Rhysling Awards have been posted here -- congratulations to all the winners!

Here are two speculative fiction contests:

Science Fiction Writers of Earth Science Fiction/Fantasy Short Story Contest: The entry fee for this one is $5 per story, which includes a one-year membership in the Science Fiction Writers of Earth. Additional entries are $2 each. All entries must be unpublished. The top prizes are pretty good: $200/$100/$50, and the story that wins first place may earn another $75 for web publishing rights. Deadline is October 30th.

Electric Dragon Cafe Short Story Contest: This is a quarterly themed contest with no entry fee. The theme this time around is "birth & rebirth." First prize is a $25 Borders or Barnes & Noble gift card (which by then will probably be the same thing), second prize is a $10 gift card, and third prize is an Electric Dragon Cafe writing journal. Deadline is August 31st, and only unpublished stories for this one, too.

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've got a story I might want to enter in taht first contest.

maryturzillo said...

Wicked little tidbits in D & N 80, Greg. Just the sort of think I'd like to read to my five year old (if I had one).

Greg Schwartz said...

Charles, it sounds like a decent contest. Good luck!

Mary, thanks! Haven't gotten my copy yet but looking forward to reading it.

J. Bruce Fuller said...

Greg,
I got my copy of D&N as well... Good job.

I liked Charles' poem too.
--J

Greg Schwartz said...

Thanks J! I was hoping it would come today, but no such luck.