Friday, July 18, 2008

this & that

I have to get up in about six and a half hours to go to work, so this is gonna be a quick post. Just a few mentions:

The new issue of bear creek haiku is out, full of great poems as always. A couple of gems by Mark Arvid White and Christopher E. Ellington.

There's a new horror anthology opening for submissions August 1st. Catastrophia will be a collection of catastrophe/disaster stories, 2000-6000 words, to be published summer of 2010. It is a paying market, but the guidelines don't specify how much.

Twisted Tongue is also open to submissions, this time for its Christmas-themed winter issue. I believe non-themed submissions will still be accepted, but check the guidelines for details.

Barnes & Noble is having a clearance sale, online and in stores. Find all the clearance books here, for 50-80% off. The sale ends August 3rd.

Last thing to mention... I just finished two good but very different books: Cold in the Light by Charles Gramlich, and Dusk Lingers, a collection of haiku by Issa, translated by Dennis Maloney. Both were superb books. Cold in the Light is available at any large bookstore; Dusk Lingers is available from Modern Proposal Chapbooks (an imprint of Lilliput Review). I hope to post reviews of both books some time soon.

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I definitely want to look into Twisted Tongue. Sounds interesting. I'm so glad you liked Cold in the Light. I sure enjoyed writing the gorier sections of that book. Thanks for the mention.

I'm meeting Sunday with J. about my chapbook. I'll let you know after what is happening.

Greg Schwartz said...

Charles,

Hopefully it's coming out soon... I'm looking forward to it!

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Greg:

Thanks very much for the note on Dusk Lingers, the Issa collection, and the coming review. I'm very glad you liked it.

best,
Don @Lilliput

Greg Schwartz said...

Don,
It's a great collection. The format works well for it, since you're able to give each poem its own page.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Hey, Greg:

Just ran across your poem "shuddering" in Wisteria.

Nice work!

best,
Don

Greg Schwartz said...

Thanks Don! Glad you liked it. My wife told me she used to do that when she was a little kid.

That's the first issue of Wisteria I had the chance to read... it's a great little magazine.

Dwarf Stars Award 2015

Dwarf Stars Award 2015