Sunday, December 28, 2008

flash fiction contest, books

Just a quick post to bring this contest to everyone's attention. It's expensive to enter ($15 for a 100-word or shorter story) but the prizes are hefty -- $500, $200, and $100 for the top three placing stories. The 100 Words or Fewer Writing Contest is accepting entries of unpublished stories through December 30th. It's very hard to tell a complete story (much less a gripping and interesting one) in 100 words, so if you think you can do it, it might be worth your while to enter. Subject matter is open, and the guidelines specifically state "even horror" is acceptable, as long as it's not "lewd or libelous." All entries receive a checklist evaluation and a comment, and winners will be notified by February 8th.

Hopefully everyone had a great holiday. Between holiday gift cards and payment for a story and a few poems, I was able to buy some new books, including Joshua Gage's breaths, Spin by Robert Wilson, Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum, Empire by David Dunwoody, and Dumpling Field: Haiku of Issa (translated by Lucien Stryk). All come recommended by people I trust, except Empire, which I haven't heard much about but it looks to be a good story.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I put bits and pieces up on goodreads. Added a bunch of my poetry chapbooks

Greg Schwartz said...

thanks Charles!

laughingwolf said...

happy new year, greg :D

Greg Schwartz said...

thanks laughingwolf, you too! hope 2009's a good one.

pottygok said...

Thanks for purchasing my book! Let me know what you think of it when you get a chance!

Greg Schwartz said...

Josh - just finished reading it this week... it's a great collection. the poems really work well together.

pottygok said...

Greg,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you have a minute, I could use a review on Amazon. Trying to up sales however I can! ;-)

Thanks,
Josh

Greg Schwartz said...

yup, working on a review right now....

Dwarf Stars Award 2015

Dwarf Stars Award 2015