Saturday, June 20, 2009

an auction and a contest

Catherynne M. Valente, like many people nowadays, is in dire straits. I've never heard of her, but (#1) that's not saying much, and (#2) she won the Tiptree Award, so plenty of other people must have.

Her fiance was laid off months ago, and they are now almost flat broke. Rhonda Parrish, editor of Niteblade, has started a charity auction to help out. Up for grabs are free ad space on the Niteblade site, a print copy of the Lost Innocence anthology (which sells for $11.95 by itself), and a PDF copy of "Sister Margaret."

Go to the auction web page, and if you can, help a fellow writer out. If you've got something to promote, an ad in Niteblade is a great way to do it. I haven't read "Sister Margaret," but I can tell you Lost Innocence is a great anthology of fantasy and horror fiction and poetry.

The 14th Grandmother Earth writing contest is going on now. Poetry prizes range from $25 to $100, and it looks like plenty of awards will be handed out. Entry fee is $10 for 1-3 entries and $2 for each additional entry. There are also prizes for best haiku or short poem, best use of humor, and best environmental theme. Postmark deadline is July 15th.

In other news, I just found out that my short story "Change," for which I've been trying to find a home for a long time, was just accepted by A Fly In Amber. It's been slow recently, but one of my poems will appear in the last issue of From the Asylum, and my short story "The Book" should be in the next issue of Sorcerous Signals.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm sorry to hear about Ms. Valente. I've much enjoyed her poetry. I'll see what I can do. congrats on the story.

Greg Schwartz said...

Thanks Charles!

Rhonda Parrish said...

Thanks for the link Greg. So far you're still winning LOL it will be a hell of a deal if you get it all for $5 LOL

Greg Schwartz said...

yeah, that would be a great deal for me, not so much for the auction though! i thought way more people would bid. the prizes are definitely worth it.

Dwarf Stars Award 2015

Dwarf Stars Award 2015