Wednesday, July 1, 2009

a new contest, some micro markets

David Dunwoody, author of the zombie novel Empire, has started a cool little limerick contest. Write a limerick about the grim reaper (or any other personification of Death) and you could win a bunch of cool prizes. Find all the details here. (Deadline is July 29th.)

Despite my staunch ignoring of it, Twitter has continued to grow increasingly popular. There are now several paying Twitter markets for fiction and poetry 140 characters or less. If you can write good short fiction, it's not a bad way to make a couple extra bucks. Here are a few of the markets:

- Tweet the Meat: looking for horror/weird stories. Sometimes has themes. Pays $1/story.
- Thaumatrope: publishes speculative fiction. Currently only open to serials. Pays $1.20 per acceptance.
- Nanoism: wants literary fiction, but open to genres. Pays $1.50 per unpublished story, $1 if previously published online.

In other news, Star*Line is now open to general poetry subs, and moonset's deadline for their autumn/winter issue is August 1st.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Twitter keeps trying to suck me in and now tweeters are publishing microfiction. It's getting pretty difficult for me to stay away from it.

Charles Gramlich said...

The microfiction aspect begins to make tweeter more attractive but I just am at overload now. No time, no time. Not if I want to finish this novel.

Greg Schwartz said...

Amber - I'm with you. Haven't actually submitted to any of them yet, but it might get me to take a look at Twitter (unfortunately).

Charles - good luck with the novel! I always think microfiction sounds easy to write, but then when I sit down to do it, it's hard. Takes a long time to write something that short (to paraphrase Twain a little).

Ben White said...

Twitter-fiction (and the interpersonal connections made from it) is the only reason I use Twitter, and my positive experience with writing on Twitter was the reason I created Nanoism.

It's a great exercise, and--if you keep at it--it can serve as a wonderful idea repository. Give it a try and send it my way.

Greg Schwartz said...

Thanks Ben! I'll try to write something this week. Hopefully other people will too.

Dwarf Stars Award 2015

Dwarf Stars Award 2015