Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cheap haiku books

After Christmas is the best time to buy a lot of things. If you're looking for some inexpensive haiku, check out these offers:

- Breath Marks by Gary Hotham, $4 online from Barnes & Noble ($8 list price)

- The Haiku Handbook, 25th Anniversary Edition, by William J. Higginson & Penny Harter, $12.24 from Amazon ($18 list price)

- The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, & Issa, translated by Robert Hass, $11.55 from Amazon ($16.99 list price)

- The Sound of Water: Haiku by Basho, Buson, Issa, and Other Poets, translated by Sam Hamill, $8.69 from Amazon ($10.95 list price)

I have all of these books except for the last one, and (unfortunately) I paid much more than they're selling for now. I can definitely recommend each of the first three -- Breath Marks is a great collection of haiku from an American master, The Haiku Handbook is an invaluable resource for anyone who wants to learn more about the form (either appreciating it or writing it), and Essential Haiku includes a large selection of well-translated poems from the Japanese masters. The Sound of Water looks like a good collection as well (I like Sam Hamill's translations that I've read in another collection) and I'll probably have to get that one.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Anything with Issa in it I'm likely to get.

Greg said...

Essential Haiku had some good Issa translations. It's been a while since I've read it, hopefully I'll read it again soon.

ed markowski said...

Crescent Moon

The Frown Behind

A Clown's Smile


Ground Hog Day

I Cut My Finger

On A Band Aid Tin


Zen

Soap Bubbles

Float

Soap Bubbles

Burst


Silver Anniversary

Our Lustreless

Arguement


Kangaroos

There I Am

In My Mother's Womb


Octopus

The Tentacles On

Our Family Tree


Methadone Clinic

Ants Swarm & Stick to

A Popsicle Wrapper


Bums Buddhas Too

ed markowski

Greg said...

nice ones, Ed! thanks for stopping by.



tropical paradise
he checks in
and checks his email